St. Paul’s Mission Centre
St. Paul’s Mission Centre at Mavelikara is the womb of all mission movements of H.G. Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios Metropolitan who had been called Mr. M. V. George in his youth. In 1943 they started Far Away Christian Friends (FACF) Gospel Hall in a hired building. After becoming a deacon he went to America for higher studies in 1948 and there he could save 1000 dollars through his simple life. In 1951 he came back to Indian and brought 14 cents for St. Paul’s Wyoming Hall at Mavelikara in 1953 and started the building works. In 1954 the two storey building was completed and the two week summer vacation Bible class started in the same is year is continuing even now. Through these Bible classes and the works of St. Paul’s Gospel team organized in 1952, thousands of people have become interested in the various mission movements and in spreading the Gospel. Undoubtedly their presence has become a blessing to both our nation and the Malankara Orthodox Church. Most of them are in various countries. Many of the priests in the Malankara Orthodox church are those who once dedicated their life to the God during the summer vacation Bible class. In 1979 St. Paul’s Wyoming Hall was upgraded as St. Paul’s Mission Centre, the one and only mission training centre of Malankara Orthodox Church, with a three year training course for the missionaries. By this time hundreds of missionaries have got trained and more than thirty of them are full time mission workers. Many of them have become priests after their studies in the theological seminary. The ultimate aim of mission centre is Gopelisation of India and for that purpose they conduct seminars and conferences up art from the regular bible classes and mission training courses. In order to accelerate the functioning of the mission centre a book depot and an offset press have been established with in the compound. Mission centre is the central office of all mission institutions under the church mission board and the various mission movements commenced by Mar Osthathios Metropolitan. The priests of St. Paul’s Ashram are leading the activities of this mission centre. The Director is H.G. Dr. Geevarghese Mar Osthathios Metropolitan and Dr. Nathanael is the principal. Rev. Fr. Jacob Mathew is the manager of mission centre.
While writing the article titled “Who ever receives a little child in my name” in the annual report of St. Paul’s Ashram and Balabhavan, Rev. Fr. M. V. George states that church is the outpouring of love shown in the cross of Calvary by Jesus Christ, the manifestation of God’s Love towards mankind. And a mission movement is the manifestation of the same love. The theological concept ‘Holy Trinity and the eternal truth ‘God is love’ are the two stream of thoughts, on the basis of which he has written so many articles and delivered hundreds of speeches even after becoming a Metropolitan. Throughout his life he tries to put in to practice what he preaches and to make others do what is virtuous and holy.
The emblem of St. Paul’s Ashram and Balabhavan is very meaningful. The round shape in the emblem stands for perfection, the perfection of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
In addition to this the round also shows the entire world and we have a message to the entire humanity of this world which is reflected in the Greek Words.
The three Greek words in the emblem are Koinonia, Diakonia and Kerugma. The literal meaning of the word Koinonia is sharing fellowship.
The word deacon is derived from the word diakonia which means self giving service. The word Kerugma means preaching the gospel. The different institutions like St. Paul’s Ashram and Balabhavan, St. Paul’s mission centre are established based on these thoughts. We hope and pray for all these mission institutions including those yet to be established in the near future to be filled with Holy Spirit and reflect the nature of the first Church.
The Apostle Paul used the word Koinonia eleven times in the new Testament more than any other writer, with the meaning “sharing’ (The acts 2:42) Romans 12:3, 15:26, 11Corinthians 8:4, 9:13, Galatians 6:6, Philippians 1:5, 4:15, 1 Timothy 6:18, Philippians 17, Hebrews 13:16) All these three Greek words are not perfect and meaningful without the word Ayupe, which stands for the divine love revealed by Jesus Christ through his self sacrifice on the cross of Calvary. And it is possible for the God to make us identity with this sacrificing love even though we are impossible for these ourselves.
The cross which is the symbol of salvation, in the emblem is fixed in the centre of lotus, the national flower of India. This shows the broad mindedness of Christianity to accept the regionalism of Indians. This is to proclaim that The Death of Christ on the cross of Calvary is for the entire world including the people of India. This good news is preached throughout India and in the foreign. The size of the cross in the emblem exceeds picture of India and the world. This means that the God’s love is not confined to any particular country but the entire universe is overwhelming with the self giving love. And the rays of God’s love filtering down from the cross of Calvary dissolves the evil darkness and sweeps away the sins, fears and starvation from the face of earth. It was in Kerala Christianity was introduced in AD52, from where it grew in to the other states of India. As the lotus blooms when the sum rises, Christianity is accepted throughout India.